Friday, April 5, 2013

Lesson 1

By now we have had our first class together. I only had a little time to answer questions in the 7:00 pm class but we'll make that up next week and soon all three of the classes will be on the same schedule. 

This is my schedule with the Level 4 classes:


Monday and Wednesday: Patricia Palomeque's 1:00 pm and 7:00 pm classes
Tuesday and Friday: Eulalia Moscoso's 7:00 am classes

In our first classes together, this is what we did:

·         Introduce myself
o   From Minnesota
o   Mathematics and Elementary Education teacher
o   Fulbright Program
o   Teaching level 4 students, and working in the Speaking Corner in the Multimedia Center
o   How I learned Spanish
·         Language study
o   Speaking
o   Listening
o   Writing                                                
o   Reading                                              
·         Our classes together
o   Twice per week
o   Focus on speaking and writing
o   Planned activities each week
·         My philosophy as a teacher
o   Constructivism
o   I am here to teach you what you want to learn – you need to let me know what that is!
·         My promise to you
o   I will come to class with well thought-out plans for class
o   I will be prepared
o   I will answer any and all questions honestly and to the best of my ability
·         My expectations for you
o   Pay attention
o   Immerse yourself in English
o   Participate in activities
o   Help your classmates and ask for help when you need it
o   Ask questions
·         Our activity today
o   I have written eight questions for you that will help me get to know you better
o   The questions are written on cards 
o   Work in small groups, each group member will answer the question. Find a new question to answer every 5 minutes.
·         Questions
  1. Why do you want to learn English?
  2. What is your history?
  3. What is your dream?
  4. What is your nightmare?
  5. Who are you?
  6. What are your strengths, gifts and abilities?
  7. What do you need?
  8. What does your ideal day look like?

·         Homework
o   Write a half-page introduction of yourself, like a short autobiography. Your introduction must contain the following elements:
  • Your name
  • What you are studying
  • Why do you want to learn English?
  • Answer any three of the other questions from class (questions 2 - 8, see above), your choice! 


No comments:

Post a Comment